Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Family of Faith - 6/17/07

The best thing a man can do for his children…..


Happy Father’s Day! I hope all the father’s feel a special pride today whether you are young or old. I have only been a father for 9 months but I am incredibly proud of my family. I began preparing for fatherhood long before I became a dad. I even began preparing for fatherhood before I married Krista. For me, I watched my dad while I was growing up and, whether I knew it or not, was taking note of what it means to be a good father. There were good things I learned and mistakes I learned from. Probably the most influential thing my dad did to prepare me for fatherhood was loving my mom. Of all the things that stand out and mean the most to me, it is that my dad loves my mom. I think more than participating in sporting or school events or setting aside family time, the thing that will have the most lasting impact on your children is if you have a genuine and sincere love for their mother. People have asked me before, “How can I be a good father?” my response has always been, “The best thing a man can do for his children is to love their mother.” I hope you will remember that this father’s day and love your kids by loving their mom!
~Josh Kellar
Taking It Home
Have the kids make a list of everything that makes a “good” father.
Ask them to think about the ways that God meets these characteristics as our Heavenly Father.
Read Deuteronomy 4:9 together. How do our experiences -”the things our eyes have seen”- shape us as a family?
Ask the children to think of things they will always remember about they way they see their parents loving each other.
If you are brave, ask the children ways they think you could love your spouse more. Children are very perceptive!
Share/Bookmark

No comments: