Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Grace, Love and Knowledge

"For what would it profit us to know the whole Bible by heart and the principles of all the philosophers, if we live without grace and the love of God?" -Thomas a Kempis

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I guess you could say I am nesting in more than one way. For the last several months, Krista and I have been feverishly trying to get the house ready for Miriam. We have been painting, gathering baby furniture, etc. I have also found a new interest in parenting material. I have been reading through several different articles and books on parenting. I scan the pages of What to Expect When You are Expecting hoping to glean information that will prepare me for being a parent. I have no doubt that all this information is good, yet I am continuously reminded that I will understand everything better once I am actually a parent.

I have heard relentlessly the phrase, "You will understand when your baby comes." I do not resent this but rather it reminds me that nothing adequately prepares you for being a parent other than being a parent. I find myself trying not to rely too heavily on the books I read or the tidbits of information others share with me rather the moments experienced between Krista, Miriam and I.

I consider these moments of God's grace and love. He shows me grace by giving me moments of learning as Krista and I discuss bringing Miriam home from the hospital. I feel graced when I see Krista holding her tummy as Miriam kicks her little feet inside. I experience His love when I realize I do not have to wait for delivery to know these things. The "principles of philosophers," and stories of faith in the Bible I read are definitely helpful insights but it is through these moments of grace and love when I feel the most knowledge.

~JK
Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

III said...

Hey buddy. Remember when I left Abilene to come home to preach & you told me that you were jealous? Well I say that as I reflect on you're impending fatherhood, I'm jealous! As a vistor, I can tell you that people can sense a great amount of love & warmth in your household. And the thing that friends tell me about babies is that it brings so much more love to your household. You're gonna have a blast, pops.

Just wanted to say hey and let you know you were in my thoughts.

P.S. Please don't link me. I've just recently begun blogging consistently, and would like to keep it sorta on the d.l. for now. I guess I'm weird like that. Peace out.

preacherman said...

I enjoyed reading your blog.
You have great comments and thoughts that I agree with.
I was born in Abilene.
My home town.
God bless you in your pursuit of a license.
God bless you as you serve Him.

Unknown said...

One day two Brothers approached Abba Poeman and told him that they were going to leave the monastic sanctuary. When he asked their reasons, they said that the noise of the children some of the brothers had adopted was interrupting their prayers. Abba Poeman replied, "You would leave because of the voices of the angels?"

Enjoy the voice of your little angel.