Saturday, June 04, 2005

Ahhh...Saturdays

Ahhh......Saturday's. There are two things Saturday's were made for. Garage-sailing and house projects. Unfortunately I was only able to do one of these today. I had several house projects to do today but on all of my three trips to Home Depot today (yeah...three....it was a good day) I saw the signs everywhere for garage sales, estate sales, yard sales. It was almost too much to bear. I had to pass up the garage sales because any man on a mission to Home Depot has one thing on his mind...his project. I happened to have this on my mind on all three trips.

For the last two days there's been this smell coming from our laundry room and since it has been several months since my dog chewed up the dryer vent hood, I was convinced that a critter had crawled into the dryer and Krista had fried it the last time she did a load of laundry. My task was to replace the formerly plastic vent hood with a metal one that would prove indestrctible to my canines. After installing the new, metal vent hood, I had to fill the gaps with "great stuff." Its this expandable foam which doubles in size after you squirt it into the gaps. The only problem is, as I found out after the fact, you arent supposed to get it on your hands. (I am amazed I can type with the burning sensation in my fingers.
I over squirted the not-so-great-stuff and could not reinstal the dryer vent hose until the foam dried. So while it was drying I decided to paint the trim in the laundry room. It was painted this peach/pinkish color which interior design type people might call "salmon." (I was told that peach and pink are no longer colors and that all colors are now named after fish and berries)

After the paint had dried (the new color is denim- not blue, denim) the foam was also ready to be cleaned up so my next task was to crawl back behind the dryer to reinstall the vent hose. Let it be known that I now hate dryer vent hoses. First, the space behind the dryer is only beg enough for a kindergartner, I am about the size of six kindergartners. Second, I take up a bigger space than the dryer vent hose allowed for me to attach it to both the wall and the dryer at the same time. Third, the dryer has an overhang making it impossible to see the place to attach the hose so you have to screw the pipe clamp on without seeing it. Fourth, once you actually attach the dryer vent hose to the wall and the dryer you have to inch the dryer closer to the wall thus making less space for the man pinned between the wall and the dryer. Fifth, there's an immovable shelf above the man pinned between the wall and the dryer. Don't you wish you could have watched me trying to get out from behind the dryer. At one point I had my feet against the wall behind the dryer and my hands on floor in front of the dryer...figure that one out. But I got it done, the dryer vent hose is venting. The denim colored trim looks great. My dogs have one less part of my house to chew on. This is what Saturday's are made for but next week I think I will go garage-sailing.

~JK
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, hahahahaha!!!! The classic snare of women. They ask you to fix the dryer, and what happens? You get stuck! It's too bad she wasn't home at the time or she would have taken pictures and posted them here on this blog before you even knew what hit you.

Anyway, at least you made it out from behind there. I hope the new vent is made of a very strong metal because if those dogs are determined, they'll find a way to tear it up. ;)

Also, you spoke incorrectly about "garage sailing" next weekend. I happen to know that you will be making a trip up to Snyder with your cousin. Don't be lying to these people! Keep it real, Josh, and enjoy your time with that cousin!