Thursday, April 26, 2007

Spiritually Unemployable?

There are some people who are totally unemployable in the spiritual realm. They are spiritually feeble and weak, and they refuse to do anything unless they are supernaturally inspired. The proof that our relationship is right with God is that we do our best whether we feel inspired or not.
~Oswald Chambers

Every now and then I will read something that gets me charged. It may be a daily devotional or passage from the Bible. I feel that I can run marathons for God because of this newly inspired self. To be honest there are times when I feel like hiding from people and ministry and feel that I cannot do it. If you ask Krista, she will say that I am more introverted than extraverted. I do not feel that introverts cannot be good ministers, but in many ways I like myself better when I feel I am the "inspired, go-getter, people person." I sometimes feel that I am disappointing God if I am not.

Oswald Chambers says that some people are "unemployable" in the spiritual realm. I think by this he means that the people who always feel the need for "inspired, go-get-em, spiritually supercharged," revelations are unreliable. In fact I think sometimes I look for opportunities to serve where, to be successful, that is the type of power I need. Instead, I think I need to find ways of serving where I feel empowered regardless of any inspiration I may or may not have received. Then when I do get a charge, that area of service can receive a boost and be blessed even more.

~JK
Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Kyle said...

Josh, thanks for the comment on my blog. Did I know you at ACU? You look familiar, but I'm having trouble figuring out if I know you or if you just stumbled onto my blog. Forgive me if we lived together for a year or something. God Bless.

Kyle said...

I think it's great that you found my blog. Please keep reading.

Arlene Kasselman said...

Josh, these are good thoughts. Because I am so extroverted and feel so charged by people that I struggle to sometimes appreciate the other side of the coin. God has led to love silence and solitude and so that gives me some balance. David is introverted and God is leading him to be more fully alive through relationship.
For ministry and employability, whatever side of the coin we land on, I think Susek in the book Firestorm writes some profound words. He believes for ministers to be functioning in healthy ways there needs to be a balance of the following: (TRIM)
Truth - theologically sound study and ability to communicate it
Relationship - being fully present in the lives of those we serve
Integrity - living holy, ethical lives
Mission - joining God in what he is doing