Tuesday, February 07, 2006

One in Christ

Image hosting by Photobucket
A few Sundays ago our congregation participated in something incredible. The Minter Lane Church of Christ and the North 10th and Treadaway Church of Christ had a joint worship service. The reason this service was so incredible was not because two congregations were gathering together to worship on a Sunday morning but because The Minter congregation is predominantly white and the North 10th Congregation is predominantly black. For some time, Doug Foster has been teaching on racial reconciliation and this gathering was evidence of two congregations desiring to have unity among believers despite past divisions and seemingly irreconcilable differences. I appreciated the thought and intention that went into the planning of the service and I hope that these two congregation will continue to dialogue about breaking the patterns of division which have often characterized our brotherhood.

~JK



Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Josh! I just stumbled across your blog - glad to see you're doing well! As to this subject of reconciliation...I guess living in the DC metro area for so many years and being blessed to live and work in an area where so many are "color blind", I forget that there are still barriers in other parts of the country! When I was doing work this past fall in Bay St. Louis, Miss. after the hurricaine - I did detect some stress between the races - and that really bothered me. I am so thankful for our well-integrated congregation (let's see, we have SO many different races and countries represented, I can't even count them!) We miss you and your family!

karin kerby