Friday, August 05, 2005

Movie Class/Sunday School

Next weekend, Krista and I are going down to Houston to visit my family where my dad has just began the position of Worship Minister at the Kingwood Church of Christ. Today I talked to my dad and he asked me if I would be interested in (co)teaching one of the Sunday night adult classes there. They have been doing a series where they watch a few short clips from a movie and then discuss the spiritual/theological/religious implications for their lives. I thought this was a great idea so I agreed and now I am left to come up with a topic as well as a movie with clips that contain no objectionable material (after all, we wouldn't want to confront sin in the church setting ;o) which also pack a theological punch. Anyone have any great ideas?

~JK
Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Josh!! You won't remember me but I knew your family in Fairfax. I taught at STepping Stones along with your mom. I love the idea of watching movies and discussing the spiritual impact. I love the movie THE MISSION, with Robert De Niro. It has a lot of action and spiritual interest. I also love the movie DOGVILLE with Nicole Kidman. As for your parents living in Kingwood, that's not far from where I grew up. Wow. Hey, question? Are you going to Natalie Hedges' wedding? I sure wish I could go.

Anonymous said...

oh, i meant to say that my sister just retired from being the registrar at abilene high. in case you had any contact with abilene high.

Josh Kellar said...

Suzy,
I remember who you are :o)
Those are good suggestions. I am planning on going to Natalie and Shane's wedding. I am excited about it. My wife and I have done a lot with them. I dont really have a whole lot of contact with Abilene High but if your sister goes to church somewhere, I may run into her at different church events. Good to hear from you!
~JK

Anonymous said...

Hi Josh. I've missed your family all these years at Fairfax. I remember your being a big part of the teen retreats for all those years. We still go to Wamava as much as we can. My baby Jennifer will be a junior at Chantilly next month. She will be in Abilene this weekend with Meagan and Stephanie Jeeter. As for my sister, as soon as she retired in June, she and her husband left Abilene and moved to Lovelady to help my parents, b/c my dad has ALS. Their son goes to Harding, but is working with something called Narrow Gate right now. Maybe you know it. Their daughter is working in Denver with DryBones. Maybe you know it. I'm thrilled you'll be at Natalie and Shane's wedding. I can't wait to see the pics, since I'll have to miss the real thing. Will Heather get to attend the wedding?