Monday, May 09, 2005

Burned Houses and Burned Humility

There's a woman out at Cottonwood whose house burned down for the second time not too long ago. This past Sunday the church and community held a shower for her to fill the trailer someone had donated and replace all the things she had lost in the fire. Krista told me that when she was talking to this woman, aside from being incredibly grateful for all the help eveyone had been, she felt that she had all she needed. This woman has literally no posessions to her name, yet she was able to say that she has all she needs.
This made me think about how we often look at other people's lives and think about how awful their lives must be since they dont have all the "things" that make life wonderful for us. It is really easy to say that, "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances," when the circumstances have been in our favor. I am not sure I could say I have everything I needed if I were living on the streets or if a lack of rain was all that kept me from eating. There is some sort of illusion I am living in, in which I think that my life is secure. We often think that as Christians, we are untouchable. Is this true? Perhaps I just dont want to be humbled. It is fine if I am the one humbling myself but for God to do it...
Share/Bookmark

No comments: