Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Family of Faith - 6/10/07

“How is your family doing?” asked one minister to a man in his congregation. “Oh, we’re surviving,” said the man.


I cannot tell you how many times I have heard people say they are surviving in response to their life situation. This is certainly good news to hear in many situations where there have been some tragic circumstances in which the family has to make adjustments to the way they live. For these families, I am glad to hear they are surviving. Sadly, this is often the response for many others as well. I have even said it myself, “If I can just survive the next 2 weeks, all will be well.” Am I setting the standard too low in merely trying to survive. What would happen if instead of setting my hopes on being able to survive, I desired to thrive instead? Would it mean that I would have to take a look at what is filling up my life and decide which extra things make merely surviving my best option? It’s very likely. Would this change my life so dramatically that I would have to give some things up? It probably would. Would this mean that keeping certain things in my life are a liability and threaten my ability to thrive? That’s exactly what it means. If we want our families to thrive instead of just survive we have to realize what it means to pursue more in life than just getting by. Jesus came that we might have life more abundantly (John 10:10). How are you going to help your family thrive instead of survive?

Taking It Home
What are some things in our life that make us feel busy?
Are these things we HAVE to do, or are they extra?
What do you think would change if we did not feel so busy all the time?
Read John 10:10. If there were a thief in your life, what would he be trying to steal?
How does being busy make it easier for the “thief” to steal it?
Create a family plan to protect yourself from “the thief.”
Share/Bookmark

No comments: